1.04.2011

The Help

So I just finished an amazing book today. It is called The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It is about black maids in the 60's who tell their stories to a white lady to put in a book. It's interesting because the author writes in the perspective of the 3 main characters and switches between them every two to three chapters. From the moment I started reading this book I knew that I would love it. The characters feel so real and you wish you could meet them and be best friends with them. There are also some characters where you wish you could go through the book just to give them a good punch. It so amazing to see all they go through to write the book and all the funny stories too. That's another good thing about this book is that it is absolutely hilarious. I love this book so much and I can't wait for the movie to come out in August!
In You've got mail Kathleen Kelly says something to the effect that a really good book if its the right one can change you in so many different ways for the rest of your life and you can learn lessons from it that you couldn't learn any other way. This was one of those books. One that I will always remember. I've learned so much from it even though it's not a true story, but it shows love between characters that seems intangible and such a great compassion for others. It really opened my eyes to how segregation was. I'm so tempted to write Kathryn Stockett and thank her for this masterpiece she has created.

2 comments: